Coming Soon!

Jiang Li, Warrior Woman of Yueh is the companion novella to My Adventures As Brother Rat. Jiang Li is now available; for a signed copy, please contact me via my website Contact Me button. Price is $7.00 plus s/h of $2.20 for envelope and postage, or $4.90 for Priority Mail (6 copies will fit in a Priority Mail envelope).

Sunday, August 2, 2009

I have a New Hero

Actually, I have two new Heroes. A couple of college boys who are passing out Free Compliments! I saw a clip about them on the news the other day, and I thought it a wonderful thing. I won’t promise to give a free compliment to everyone I see, but I do try to give a smile to everyone I see!

But, why not, I ask myself, give out a Free Compliment? Imagine what the world would be like if we all complimented each other, genuinely, instead of hurled insults and anger. Giving real, genuine, and free compliments merely adds to the beauty of being. It’s a little strange, at first, but becomes easier each time I do it.

It’s kind of like giving away my Gratitude List. Several years ago, I bought or received as a gift a Journal of Gratitude. I think that’s what it was called, the author was Sara Ban Breathnach and the book was part of her Living Simply series. Anyhow, it was a blank book. There were 5 lines for each day of the year, the object being to write down 5 things before going to bed for which I was grateful. I have no idea what happened to my original book. I think I completed it, or maybe I gave it away, but I’ve been mentally keeping a gratitude list ever since. I go to bed at night, and I think of all the things for which I am grateful. I wear a smile as I go to sleep (do you know it is impossible to think sad or evil thoughts if you wear a smile?). I think that is one reason I seldom have nightmares.

Anyhow, in a conversation with one of my Sisters of Choice the other day, she told me she used to have her kids bring their Grateful List to the dinner table with one addition. Not only would they tell everyone those things for which they were grateful, they would tell everyone one thing they experienced of which they had no participation, that caused them Great Wonder that day. Wow! Wished I’d thought of that.

Your assignment, should you choose to accept, is:

1. Start your own Grateful List.

2. Watch the world around you. Find one thing each day that causes you wonder—A sunrise/sunset; an unexpected street musician on the corner where you walked, a free and genuine compliment you received from a passing stranger.

3. Give away a smile and a free (and genuine!) compliment. And tell everyone you meet who wears a uniform “Thank You!”

Since I’m asking you to do this, I thought it only fair I do it, too, so I’ll try to add at least my Gratitude List and Wonderment Sighting to the blog each day. If you would like to share your list please feel free to use the Comments section and do so.

Five Things for Which I am Grateful:

1. Walt Lee, Cartoonist, for a cartoon I’ve had over my desk for at least 20 years that says: Thou shalt find joy in each new day … even if thou must search until sunset!

2. Air conditioners when the outside temp is triple digit!

3. Publishers who still publish Print Media!

4. Friends!

5. All those men and women who wear uniforms and do their best to keep us safe (military, police, medical….)!

Yesterday’s Wonderment (I’m still working on this morning’s coffee. Now, coffee is a wonder, but it belongs on the list above;-):

Yesterday, while eating breakfast with a friend in our favorite outside restaurant, she called my attention to the play of light and shadow on the back fence behind me. It was a simple thing, but also one of great beauty.

And remember, the sun is always shining! Sometimes you just have to get 35,000 feet above to see it ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment