Coming Soon!

Jiang Li, Warrior Woman of Yueh is the companion novella to My Adventures As Brother Rat. Jiang Li is now available; for a signed copy, please contact me via my website Contact Me button. Price is $7.00 plus s/h of $2.20 for envelope and postage, or $4.90 for Priority Mail (6 copies will fit in a Priority Mail envelope).

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Back in the days when I was a good Bible Toting Christian, I read several books by Father John Powell, SJ, which I loved. Unfortunately, I no longer remember the titles of them, but I do remember many of the lessons. (If you’re interested, you can Google him.)


One lesson, and I believe a recurring one throughout his books, was our own responsibility. I copied something he wrote and put it on my bathroom mirror where I saw it every day. I may no longer have the words exactly right, but I do have the lesson. Sign on my mirror: You are looking at the face of the person responsible for your happiness today!


Many people have said the same thing, just in different words. The truth is, we and we alone are responsible for our happiness this day and every day. Happiness is a choice, though it isn’t always an easy choice. I know it was hard for me to learn to be happy, but I’m oh, so glad I made that choice and learned that lesson. Thank you Fr. Powell!


Yesterday’s Gratitudes:

1. Memories of Fr. Powell’s books and lessons contained therein

2. Breakfast on the patio with my friend, Judy

3. Finishing the quilting of my table runners (sewing the backs on is today)

4. Cooler nights so I don’t have to run the a/c

5. Publishers that take electronic submissions of poems and stories


Yesterday’s Wonderment:

Sitting outside and watching the play of light and shadow as the breeze danced with the plants. Enjoying the patio of O’Henry’s Go Go all to myself for almost an hour before people started coming. I had a chance to read, and to stop and watch the shadows and the filtered light.


Apricots from Judy’s tree:



My neighbor’s Poppy:

No comments:

Post a Comment