Coming Soon!

Jiang Li, Warrior Woman of Yueh is the companion novella to My Adventures As Brother Rat. Jiang Li is now available; for a signed copy, please contact me via my website Contact Me button. Price is $7.00 plus s/h of $2.20 for envelope and postage, or $4.90 for Priority Mail (6 copies will fit in a Priority Mail envelope).

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Socks


Yes, today's post is about socks. In particular, my new socks by Smartwool. I very seldom wear cotton socks, and cannot wear synthetic blends at all, so I mostly wear wool socks, and in the summer, I prefer the lightest weight ones I can find.

So, yesterday, I went to REI to partake of their sale, and bought three pair of socks by Smartwool. (These are washable/dryable socks, by the way, and 100% wool)

So, because I was just a tad bored, I decided to read the laundry instructions. I am quoting here. "...do not iron." Say what? Do not iron my socks? I can't iron my socks? I always iron my socks, don't you???? Yeah, right. Jeans, maybe. Tee shirts, sometimes. But SOCKS?

OK, I've quit laughing and am now down to now and then chortles.

The 2010 Indy 500 is over. Some spectacular crashes, but I think all the drivers escaped serious injury--not sure about the last crash. My idea of a great race is lots of crashes, destruction, fires, whatever--AND THE DRIVER WALKS AWAY unscathed.

Not a whole lot of excitement in my life today. It's cool, windy, more cloudy than not. The Big Race is over until next year (Danica came in 5th, by the way. Go Danica!)

I'm reading Genghis Khan by John Man. This is the third book by him I've read -- and I hope to eventually have all his books. He is an Historian, and his books are very readable. The people he writes about are real, not just some paper cutout filled with nothing but dates I can never remember. I took the above photo just up the road a piece (3 miles +/-) from where I live; I live in what is classified as High Desert by some and Steppes by others. I can't help but wonder if our part of the world would look familiar to Genghis Khan, should he ever be so inclined to visit? We have many of the same flora--including tumbleweed which, I've been told, came from Russia. I've heard two stories, both of which sound plausible. The first is the tumbleweed seeds came over in wheat (this is wheat country); the second story is that Russian immigrants missed them, and sent for seeds.

Although it is 73 degrees out, the breeze and clouds make it feel much cooler.

If you're a Veteran and reading this blog, Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment