Coming Soon!

Jiang Li, Warrior Woman of Yueh is the companion novella to My Adventures As Brother Rat. Jiang Li is now available; for a signed copy, please contact me via my website Contact Me button. Price is $7.00 plus s/h of $2.20 for envelope and postage, or $4.90 for Priority Mail (6 copies will fit in a Priority Mail envelope).

Monday, February 16, 2009

RadCon



RadCon

All photos on this blog page are by: Aaron M. Smith

Today is Monday, 16 February 2009 and my son, Aaron Smith, and I are catching up on much needed sleep and rest after a weekend of fun and madness. RadCon is our local Science Fiction & Fantasy convention, held every year on the third weekend of February At the Red Lion in Pasco WA. Aaron and I did our part to make it a success – along with several other folks. I’m not sure what all he did, but I stayed mostly in the Green Room, where the Professional Guests come to escape the madding crowds. If you’ve never been to a SciFi/Fantasy Convention, and there is one near you, and if you really enjoy people watching, get thee hence.

Most Cons, as they are called, have Tracks—Gaming for the gamers, Costuming for those who enjoy making and wearing costumes, Writing for those who enjoy writing and or reading. I’m usually involved in the Writing Track, and as a Pro (invited Guest) I pay my way by being on various panels that have to do with writing. This year I was both Pro and Staff. We also had combat demonstrations, using bamboo sticks, and what little bit I saw, appeared to be based on the Asian rather than European style of fighting. There were several Anime and Fan Films shown and discussed. If there is anything of interest to anyone who enjoys Science Fiction and or Fantasy, it can usually be found at a Con.

I’m not sure what all Aaron did, but I know he kept busy helping out. Fortunately he managed to find time to wander a wee bit and gather a few photos, which you see on this page. I haven't a clue who all these people are – but I do know at least one is a teacher. The biker dude collects and restores old Harley’s, if I’m recalling our conversation correctly. The cat he carries is a most life-like hand puppet he carries around, and makes do the most cat like things.

As you can tell from Aaron’s photos, we get folks from all age brackets. There are even children who attend the Con (with parents) and have their own games and projects. Alas, Aaron didn’t get any shots of them.

It was great fun meeting up with old friends, especially John Dalmas. I have his permission to link to his page, http://www.johndalmas.com/. John is one of our Elder Statesmen of the Science Fiction genre, he’s 82 years old, still travels to the Cons, still writes mighty fine novels, and doesn’t understand the bit about aging gracefully – he’s having way too much fun to be all that graceful :). Check out his page, read his opinions on a variety of subjects. Better yet, go buy his books!

One of the biggest ‘hits’ in the Green Room was the Arctic Chili I made and shared. Everyone loved it—especially the Biker Dude. Several years ago, when I worked at The Boeing Company, one of my co-workers, Michael O’Mara brought it to one of our (in)famous pot lucks. He graciously shared the recipe with me, and I now share it with you. You have my permission to follow directions, or make it in a crock pot, as I did; however, if you use the crock pot, cut the liquid way down, as there is no evaporation.

Mama O’Mara’s Arctic Chili

1 Tablespoon oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 minced garlic cloves
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 pound chicken or turkey breast, cooked and cubed
1 can garbanzo beans, drained
1 can white kidney beans, drained
1 can white corn, drained
12 oz. can chopped green chilies, drained
2 chicken flavored bouillon cubes OR low fat/sodium chicken broth
1.5 cups water
shredded Monterey Jack cheese (with or without jalapenos)

sauté onion, garlic and cumin in oil until onions are tender. In a 2.5 quart oven-proof dish combine all ingredients except cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, top with cheese.

Enjoy!

And remember, MY ADVENTURES AS BROTHER RAT will be available 1 July 2009 from www.samsdotpublishing.com.







No comments:

Post a Comment