Coming Soon!

Jiang Li, Warrior Woman of Yueh is the companion novella to My Adventures As Brother Rat. Jiang Li is now available; for a signed copy, please contact me via my website Contact Me button. Price is $7.00 plus s/h of $2.20 for envelope and postage, or $4.90 for Priority Mail (6 copies will fit in a Priority Mail envelope).

Monday, June 1, 2009

Memorial Day, 2009

Today is 31 May, the traditional Memorial Day. It is a day to remember all the Veterans who have served with honor in the Uniformed Services of this country -- to remember them, their sacrifices and their contributions. Many made the supreme sacrifice, all contributed, and to those Vets who happen to read this blog, I sincerely thank you for serving. I thank those of you who served only because you were called to duty, and I thank those of you who volunteered. Many, many thanks! If you’re not a Vet, please, tell every Vet you know ‘Thank You,’ and any men and women you see in uniform, tell them ‘Thank You,’ too. Not just today, but anytime, anyplace, you see them.


Yesterday, my friend, Judy, and I went forth to do a little exploring in the local area, and to photograph anything we happened upon that might be worth the film. Of course, we no longer use film, but we still think that way sometimes ;-).

Photos at: http://web.mac.com/goodlenora/iWeb/Site/Library%2020.html

A couple miles from my home, down near the Columbia River, we happened upon a small herd (three) of horses, Studley and his harem. Their meadow was being watered, and there was shade for them, but they seemed to prefer being out in the sun. Once they became aware we were at the fence, they wandered over to check us out. OK, they wandered over to see what treat we had for them. Alas, no treats. But they did allow us to take their pictures.

Books I am Reading on this Date:

1. Edge.org presents What Have You Changed Your Mind About? Today’s Leading Minds Rethink Everything –edited by John Brockman with an Introduction by Brian Eno. This is a small paperback, somewhere between a Trade Paper size and a mass market size, and worth the price. As I understand it, every year Edge asks a question of 100 or so brainiacs throughout the world. The 2008 Question was:

"When thinking changes your mind, that’s philosophy. When God changes your mind, that’s faith. When facts change your mind, that’s science.
What have you changed your mind about? Why?
Science is based on evidence. What happens when the data change? How have scientific findings or arguments changed your mind?"

Answers are provided by Steven Pinker, Richard Dawkins, Nassim Nicholas Taleb, Alan Alda, Irene Pepperberg, Brian Eno and a host of others. Answer the question yourself, then read their answers.

2. The Collected Stories of Eudora Welty. I believe this collection covers just about all the short stories she wrote. She was a Southern Lady, whose characters and places were in the South, many of the stories take place along or near the Natchez Trace, a place I have visited and enjoyed.

3. Dine bahane, The Navajo Creation Story – by Paul G. Zolbrod. This is a book I picked up at Chaco Canyon, recommended by Rose, the young lady in the gift shop. She said it was about the best history of the Navajo in the store. I just started it yesterday, and I think it will be an interesting, though frustrating, read. Paul Z uses endnotes instead of foot notes. I will not get on my soap box now, but will put my short essay up on endnotes v. footnotes in a few days. (Something for you to look forward to!)

“A little autobiography and a lot of imagination are best.” –Raymond Carver

No comments:

Post a Comment