Coming Soon!

Jiang Li, Warrior Woman of Yueh is the companion novella to My Adventures As Brother Rat. Jiang Li is now available; for a signed copy, please contact me via my website Contact Me button. Price is $7.00 plus s/h of $2.20 for envelope and postage, or $4.90 for Priority Mail (6 copies will fit in a Priority Mail envelope).

Friday, April 10, 2009

Big L (Lewisville), Galveston, and Black Headed Gulls

Photos at:
http://web.mac.com/goodlenora/iWeb/Site/Moon%20Over%20Stelling.html

OR, try
http://web.mac.com/goodlenora/ and click on Library 10

We left Oklahoma City on Palm Sunday, after a delightful breakfast with Carl and his son, Jack. (Pat teaches Sunday School, and couldn’t attend our breakfast.)

We left Oklahoma City on Sooner Road and just headed south through some really pleasant areas. My cousin, Bill and his wife, Pat, were in church south of their home in Lewisville (which I kept trying to rename “Lewiston”) where their oldest son, William, was giving the service. William, many years ago, when he was still in diapers, was known as “Dog Water Will” due to the fact he used to crawl on the floor at Grandmother’s and drink out of the dog’s water dish. A little bit of trivia that, I’m sure, no one really cares about.

Anyhow, we took the ‘blue highway’ into Texas, and stopped at the Texas Information Center for maps, directions, and a pit stop. Cindy (I hope I have her name correct—I wrote it down, and can’t find my notes!) was delightful. She gave us directions to Bill and Pat’s, she knew Flat Stanley and was delighted to meet Flat Stanlietta. She gave us book marks and stickers for Flat Stanlietta to take home, made sure we got a picture of Flat Stanlietta with the State Flower of Texas which was blooming just outside – the Bluebell. That was a tad challenging as the wind was still blowing, but we managed to get a picture.

As we drove Texas Highway 121, Business Route, we began to wonder if we were on the right road, and stopped at a Sheraton Hotel, and the two young men, William and John, were most helpful in not only giving us directions, but also in printing out a map for us, and as we left, they gave us each a bottle of cold water. Thanks to their help, we were able to find Bill and Pat’s home.

We haven’t seen each other in something like 40 years, so it was a great reunion, and Pat’s mother, Marguerite (whom I’d never met) is now living with them, and we had a blast. She went just about everywhere with us, adding her wonderful sense of humor and comments.

She did not go to Gaylord’s Resort and Convention Center with us, but everywhere else. Gaylord’s is a huge resort-convention center, with Texas in miniature inside under a glass dome. As one walks in through the front doors, they see a replica of The Alamo, and as one wanders around, there is the River Walk of San Antonio, the Paloverde Canyon (I hope that’s the name), a Texas Longhorn (stuffed), named Hank, and all sorts of flora. We walked for quite a bit, and I’m comfortable in stating we didn’t see it all!

Bill took Monday afternoon off as well as Tuesday, to squire Kay and I around. On Tuesday, while Pat had an appointment, he took us to Denton, TX, where we saw the great Courthouse (see photos) and a marvelous bookstore, where I bought 4 books on the SW history. Afterward, we picked up Pat, and all of us went to a marvelous Mexican restaurant, Amere’s. Not only was the food to die for, but Lindsay, our server, was wonderful. Marguerite asked the manager about the recipe of her dish, and he went into the kitchen and came out with two containers of the spices they use – one for her, and one for me!

The dining room was surrounded by murals and pictures that somehow reminded me more of Europe than Mexico, and the ceiling was a sky blue with white puffy clouds painted on. I asked for, and received permission to take photos, but most did not turn out.

Back at the house, Sheba, Marguerite’s Queen Cat waited for us. She did NOT want her picture taken, and when Marguerite held her, she squirmed like a sun of a gun. I put my camera away, and she posed, beautifully. Go figure!

The night before we left, Bill sat down with Kay and I and gave us great directions to get through Dallas. Kay drove during the morning, through Dallas, and I drove in the afternoon, through Houston. We left Lewisville about 9 am, filled the car with gas, and missed most of the rush hour traffic. By the time we reached Houston, I think we were on the leading edge of rush hour traffic, but again, skirted it, for the most part. We were in Texas City by 3.30 or so, and my friend, Nonie (from Port Charlotte, FL days) picked us up at our motel, and took us to her home for a delightful home cooked meal. It was a hot chicken salad, and wonderful!

The next day, she picked us up and took us to Galveston, the home of her ancestors, where we had lunch at the Stock Club. Ike blew through Galveston last September, and though there was lots of damage, businesses are beginning to reopen, and progress is being made. It is sad, some of the old churches that have been there for what seems like forever, are not going to be repaired and reopened. The devastation was vast, and is still easily seen, but as one sign said: Hurricane, schmurricane! We’re still here!

(When Ike blew through, those who lived in Texas City were told NOT to evacuate! That’s where Nonie and her husband, Jay, live. They survived Charlie when he blew through Port Charlotte a few years ago, though their home didn’t. Anyhow, I tried to get them to come stay with me, but they hunkered down and rode it out. Thankfully, they were fine, and Texas City was fine.)

While walking through some of Galveston, we came upon an art gallery (closed) that had two parrots in the window. At first, I thought they were ‘dolls’ and then one moved, and the second moved. I tried to get their photo, but there was too much glare on the window. I did get a picture of the sign on the window, telling how they both stayed upstairs with their owner and watched and survived Ike as he blew through!

The wind has blown fairly consistently, and the overcast skies made Flat Stanlietta decide to stay in the car during our tour of Galveston. She did an excellent job of guarding Suvie and her contents. And, while in Galveston, and checking out many of the stores that were open, we found a delightful ‘necklace’ for her, that seems just about perfect for so stylish a damsel ;-)

For those of you not familiar with the West Coast and our gray gulls, forgive my fascination with the black headed gulls of Texas City and Galveston—and enjoy the photos!

Kay and I, and her sons, keep an eye on the weather, and it looked like we might be heading into some really scuzzy stuff as we headed toward Florida, so we left Texas City a day early, with was a bit of a bummer as I didn’t get to spend as much time with Nonie as I’d have liked, but we both think we’re rather glad we did.

We left after Nonie’s wonderful tour of Galveston, and drove to Slidell, LA (north and east of New Orleans) where we spent the night. Today, we drove on to Tallahassee, FL where we are currently ensconced in a motel room, with our cheese, nuts, and libation of choice. Tomorrow, we head for Port Charlotte, FL, where I used to live. We had planned on going down Highway 27, but Kay was watching The Weather Channel and the Suwannee River is due to crest tomorrow – and flood part of our highway. We’ll take I-10 on over to I-75 and go down the freeway. Not as pretty—but not flooded, either! (we hope!!)

Way down upon the Suwannee River....
Stephen Foster

2 comments:

  1. It absolutely blows my mind, thinking of you clear over on the other side of the U.S., in Florida! Already?! You've gone through snow, hail, and most recently wind along the way. Wowsa! Seeing lots of folks too. AND (!) touring interesting places. The Perfect Road Trip, eh? Well, yes, black-headed gulls were not my FAVE photos [wink], but your floral ones brought Easter gladness to my heart. Blessings on you and Kay as you continue on your road...of life. Your friend, Judith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanted to let you know that I'm keeping up with y'all. I'm about to go look at Library 10. I have been SO envious of your trip--and then I just decided, heck! I can do it my own self, though that's how I'll have to do it--by my own self, since I have no companion who's ready and willing to just go where the wind (the constant and ever-present wind, it seems) blows us. Well, you're blazing a GREAT trail, girl, and I for one am ready to follow the bread crumbs you've left (if the wind hasn't blown them away!). Miss you here, though--it's RTW tonight and, as I said to Judy, nobody's put anything up for us AND Lenora's not here with one of her "shorties." What'll we do? I guess we'll just manage. Take care, have fun, and keep on blogging!
    Patsy

    ReplyDelete