Coming Soon!

Jiang Li, Warrior Woman of Yueh is the companion novella to My Adventures As Brother Rat. Jiang Li is now available; for a signed copy, please contact me via my website Contact Me button. Price is $7.00 plus s/h of $2.20 for envelope and postage, or $4.90 for Priority Mail (6 copies will fit in a Priority Mail envelope).

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Pruning of the Trees

For more photos: http://web.mac.com/goodlenora
Click on Library. Today’s posting is “Pruning of the Trees.”

Yesterday was a more or less typical March day. To begin with, it was cold, and windy. When the sun was allowed to shine through the clouds, and the wind stopped blowing, it was almost pleasant, but that only happened at the end of the day. In the meantime, it was cold. And windy. And, of course, yesterday was the day the crew came out to prune two of my trees, and to string cable in one in order to save it (in my ignorance, I allowed it to get too big without pruning, and its weight was pulling itself apart).

Naturally, I had to be outside ‘supervising’ with camera in hand most of the day. I was bundled up like Nanuk of the North, and still got cold, clear to the bone. I don’t know how those guys were able to make their hands work, even with gloves, to climb trees, handle power tools while suspended in the top branches – but, then, I don’t think I’d want to climb trees anyhow. Especially carrying power tools!

However, my trees are now considerably lighter, and when they leaf out, they will be gorgeous. The Ash in my front had gotten so over-grown, the weight of the branches pulled the trunk apart in three places. Once the weight was trimmed, one section closed on it’s own, the other two splits were cleaned, and cable strung between some opposing branches above. The team leader told me that those splits will close, just not for a while. I think I'll have slightly less shade this year, sigh, but a much happier trees. Only lost one squirrel nest. I hope it wasn't being used, or, if it was, that the two families others will share their nest until the recently homeless can build a new one. I know they can build a new one, but there aren't too many leaves from which to build right now. I’m pretty sure the guys thought I was crazy asking them, if possible, not to remove the squirrel nests. There were three in the Ash, and they managed to save two. Maybe the newly homeless can go on a trip and visit friends and relatives in the back yard?

The walnut tree really got a hair cut, too, but it will be much happier. Alas, there won't be the great shade canopy from either tree, this year, I fear. But, what do I know? Maybe they'll be so happy to have all that extraneous wood taken out that they will go bonkers with joy and canopy all over the place? I just hope it doesn’t delete the nut crop. I don’t get any as it is, but the squirrels love them. Pugzilla loved them, too, when she lived here.

It was an all day job, that's for sure. And a cold day's job. But they managed to work, and keep smiling the whole time!

The only pleasant part of the day, weather wise was when the sun came out, after the hail storm. The wind apparently blew itself out, and it was calm, and if one stood in the sun, one could almost get warm. Sure wish it had been like that the rest of the day! Am I ever grateful for rapid recovery hot water heaters and showers!

Today is Tuesday, and the Mother of All Road Trips begins this Sunday. Stay tuned for more ramblings and photos. And, believe me, After yesterday's hail storm, I'm more than ready for sun and warm and blue skies.

Quote for this time:

"Happiness, like unhappiness, is a proactive choice."
-Stephen Covey

No comments:

Post a Comment